Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 5: The return of porridge

Today's breakfast: Buckwheat Porridge

1/2 cup buckwheat, soaked overnight (rinse and repeat!)
1 date
1 apple, chopped into large pieces
cinnamon, to taste

After having washed and soaked your buckwheat overnight, rinse it one more time and then grind it in the blender, adding water until you have a porridge-like consistency.  Add the date and the apple, blend, then some cinnamon and you're done.


I don't know why, but if something doesn't seem to go as expected within the first 10 seconds I tend to be doubtful of it - I'm working on this, and trying out new recipes is a good move (leeks?  huh?).  Perhaps some of the hesitation with this meal came from the fact that I wasn't even sure that what I'd soaked overnight was buckwheat.  I'd bought buckwheat groats... was that right?  Well I soaked them anyway (turns out I was right.  Funny buckwheat quote: "stay away from the pre-cooked stuff that tastes like someone already ate it and didn't like it").  After 1 minute in the blender with some water, it started to look like porridge, so in went the date, apple and cinnamon.  I have to say this isn't my favorite recipe... the texture of the ground up buckwheat just doesn't do it for me.  And I still felt a little peckish afterwards.  So... thumbs down on this particular meal, but that doesn't mean I've given up on buckwheat.  While researching buckwheat and groats I learned that it does have some interesting health benefits along with - ready? - being used as upholstery filling.  Hmmm.  I also came across images of buckwheat pancakes, which totally made me crave fried dough... Mental note: find raw 'substitute' for pancakes.  Stat.

Fast forward to 7pm.... and I hadn't eaten a thing!  I guess the buckwheat breakfast really held me over, as I only snacked on a few almonds post porridge (well, there might've been some carob chips in there too).  I was fairly active during the day as well, so it's not as if I was laying about saving energy.  Impressive!  In fact, the amount of energy I've had during these past few days on raw has been really wonderful.  I hesitate to say 'surprising' because the books I've read all tout this, and the raw foodists I've met all have great energy levels.  Nothing 'tweaky', just a healthy level.

For dinner I really wanted a burger, or at least something with that texture.  I popped into a bookstore and leafed through one of Ani Phyo's books and found a recipe for Sun Burgers:


2 stalks celery, chopped, about 3/4 cup
1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup red bell peppers, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsps oregano, fresh or dried
1 cup sunflower seeds, ground
1/2 cup flax seeds, ground
1/2 cup water


Now, that's all I wrote down, so when I got home I just assumed that everything should go into the blender (judging by the call for water).  I'm willing to bet that once everything was blended, it was to be dehydrated in a dehydrator, but I just dug in with a spoon and you know what?  Delicious!  Another one of those 'stop me from licking the blender' creations!  Is it weird that this actually did remind me of a real burger?  The texture's amazing...!  Top it off with the kind of condiments you'd normally throw on a burger (sauces, marinades, hey, maybe even a little grated cheese) and see what you think!  Heck, if you don't have a dehydrator, I'm thinking you could even serve this on a lightly toasted bun.  Yum!

Dessert?  Yes please!  You know, with all this new raw stuff going through my head, I forgot that some of the best whole foods already come prepared: tonight's sweet tooth fix is a simple bowl of fresh grapes.  Divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment