Friday, November 26, 2010

Day 8

Remember when I spoke about food being attached to emotions?  I'm of course assuming you've been here since the beginning of this... Anyway, the other day was cold and rainy here in Vancouver (shocker, I know) and I felt like a bowl of comfort food.  I've always loved couscous, and I have a bunch in the pantry (love that word) so I thought I'd go for a cooked meal this time 'round.  Then I found a couscous 'substitute' recipe and decided to give it a whirl instead.

Parsnip Couscous
(this makes 2 portions)

1 parsnip, chopped
1 celery stalk, cut into small pieces
1/4 cucumber, cut into rounds & quartered
2 pears, cut into small pieces
2 large portions of crispy salad greens
(choose your own adventure!)
1 avocado, cubed

Dressing:
1 tsp honey
2 tbsps olive oil
2 tbsps lemon juice
pinch of salt

Garnish with:
3 tbsps walnuts, coarsely chopped

Pulse parsnip in blender until it becomes grainy, like couscous.  Combine the dressing ingredients and toss with the other salad ingredients to spread the love.  Top with the parsnip couscous, garnish with walnuts and enjoy the airy satisfaction of a truly light (but satisfying!) lunch.


I have to say - this was pretty good stuff.  I couldn't get the parsnip as teeny tiny as regular ol' couscous, but it was pretty close.  I'm learning that walnuts work on top of almost anything; they give a really great satisfying crunch to meals.  And the pears are really nice in this... as is the avocado.  It all works really well together!

One caveat: it's really important to use fresh veggies with raw food.  In regular cooking, the veggies usually get cooked (duh) and/or covered up by sauces and marinades and oils, so if they're not in tip top shape it's not really apparent.

2 comments:

  1. Check out my raw version of cous cous....it's amazing and very addictive
    http://nomorecheeze.blogspot.com/2010/10/raw-dish-cauliflower-cous-cous.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I will def give this a try Devo!

    ReplyDelete