Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mock-ups

First it was the Banana Curry in lieu of an Indian meal at a restaurant; now it's a Portobello Mushroom burger in lieu of the hamburger experience my boss keeps tempting me with.  Yep, this post is all about 'mock ups': raw replacements of favorite cooked meals.  And they're delicious!

Granola with blueberries + almond milk
This morning I started the day off with a bowl of granola a la Granola King.  I'm almost done the bag, so soon I'll have to give raw granola a go.  Looking forward to it!

And for dinner tonight: Portobello Mushroom Burger.  It. Was. AWESOME!  Here's a couple of shots... And the best part: I totally made up the recipe on the fly!  It's not difficult at all - just think about what you'd normally put on your burger, topping wise.  Although if one of those toppings is bacon... sorry, I got nothing for you right now.

I sprinkled a little sesame oil on the 'shroom and warmed it up on the stove.
Mmm lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, marinated mushrooms (they're in there!) and my own cauliflower/cashew herb cheese concoction!
One of the many awesome things I'm noticing about trying out this raw diet is that I'm more in tune with what tastes to put together.  Now, that doesn't mean I always get it right (like the smoothie I tried to whip up this morning... woo child, you did NOT want a sip of that veggie soup!) but I'm breaking out of the tried and true molds and trying out different stuff, and it's fun - which is what cooking and eating should definitely be.

The next mock up: the other night I went out for dinner with friends at 8 1/2 Restaurant Lounge (courtesy of Groupon, thank you very much!).  Two of us ordered the brie 'appetizer'.  Well, the phylo-wrapped brie was AMAZING.  Surely it's not healthy to eat THAT much cheese in one sitting, but dang, it was such goooooey goodness!  I was in heaven!  When I got home I tried to find a raw recipe for brie.  Et voila!

Morel Mushroom Brie


1 cup Macadamia nuts, rinsed
1/2 cup pine nuts, rinsed
1 cup water (more as needed)
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup dried morel mushrooms, crumbled
nut milk bag or colander + several layers of cheesecloth


Place nuts, salt and pepper in the blender with a portion of the water and blend, adding water in small amounts to keep the blending going until all is smooth.  Adjust seasoning and finish by briefly blending in mushrooms, leaving small chunks.  Pour into a nut milk bag or into a colander lined with several layers of cheesecloth and hang over a bowl for 8-12 hours.  Scrape out cheese and shape into a soft brick.  Slice or spread on crackers... or use it to make cannelloni!


This recipe is from The Raw Food Gourmet.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment